Newsletters can be found here
Their web site can be found here
In 1888 residents of Vienna concluded that they needed a building in town to house all sorts of public gatherings. Several women of the town got together and formed the Union Hall Association on February 20, 1888. Mary Etta Eaton was chosen President, Emma Allen, Vice President, May E. Gordon, Secretary and Arizina Dowst, Treasurer. Eighteen people were present at that first meeting and became members of the Association. On March 1, 1888 the Association met again to decide where the hall should be built, and then work began in earnest. Money was raised through membership subscriptions and work and materials were freely given. By July 1889, the hall was ready for occupancy, although far from complete.
In the spring of 1914 the building had started to fall into disrepair, but there was renewed interest in the hall. The members were determined to make the needed repairs and to complete the finishing touches as money and time became available. During the year the hall hosted a play, “In Old New England” and several social dances. The proceeds, along with membership subscriptions were used to complete the building.
The main hall is 30 x 40 feet with a 10 x 28 foot balcony for a total seating capacity of 120. There is a stage and two anterooms at the front of the hall, one on each side.
In 1984, efforts began anew to raise money to restore and maintain this wonderful piece of Vienna 's history and future. The Union Hall has been the scene of many a pleasant evening. Each year the Association hosts several events including: the Oyster Stew Supper in February; the Variety Show in May; and the Vienna Historical Society Plays and Association Auction in July.
The Association is always looking for volunteers and donations to continue the restoration efforts. If you are interested in becoming a member of the union Hall Association or making a donation, call Sarah @ 207-248-7699 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.