MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE VIENNA
PLANNING BOARD HELD AUGUST 22, 2018
At 6:15 PM regular members Waine Whittier, Ed Lawless, and Creston Gaither met at the Harpines’ site on Flying Pond, shown on Tax Map 10 as Lot 42, with regular Board member Alan Williams acting as the owners’ representative. The owners’ proposal to enlarge the existing deck on the existing camp with decks and a porch was discussed.
The Board’s regular meeting convened at 7:00 PM at the Town House. The discussion of the Harpines’ proposal continued. Page 4 of the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance was briefly reviewed. The new construction is to rest on posts and thus there will be no excavation; no trees are to come down. A number of erosion control measures had been observed in place during the aforementioned site visit. Alan will redraw his sketch of the proposal. He recused himself from the Board’s formal deliberations in this matter.
Based on its site visit and on Alan’s sketch and verbal representations, and a subsequent examination of the pertinent flood hazard map, the Board determined that the project as outlined above:
- Will maintain safe and healthful conditions;
- Will not result in water pollution, erosion, or sedimentation to surface waters;
- Will adequately provide for the disposal of all wastewater;
- Will not have an adverse impact on spawning grounds, fish, aquatic life, bird or other wildlife habitat;
- Will conserve shore cover and visual, as well as actual, points of access to inland waters;
- Will protect archaeological and historic resources as designated in the comprehensive plan;
- Will avoid problems associated with floodplain development and use; and
- Is in conformance with the provisions of Section 15, Land Use Standards.
It was voted 3 – 0 to authorize Creston to issue the usual permit by letter for this proposal, upon receipt of Alan’s revised sketch.
The Meeting adjourned at 7:40 PM.
Creston Gaither, secretary