- Local Government
- Civic Groups
- Recent posts
The first Methodist sermon preached in Vienna was by Jesse Lee, in the home of James Cofren on December 8, 1794. Services continued to be held in members' homes until the first church was built on land deeded by Abel Whittier on November 22, 1811. This building was one story of ancient form. Land for a new church was deeded on June 24, 1841 by Isaac Whittier. The North Vienna United Methodist Church was built in 1841. The new building consisted of a high gallery for singers and pews with doors. Harry Cochrane (of Cumston Hall in Monmouth fame) did the interior decorations. The church was dedicated on October 21, 1841. In 1863, the gallery was lowered and the doors removed from the pews. In 1891, the gallery was removed and other improvements made.
In order to better serve the congregation and growing community, construction on a new addition was begun in 2006 and completed in 2007. The addition includes a Fellowship Hall, Kitchen, Sunday School Classroom and two handicapped accessible restrooms. The entire building is handicapped accessible.
It was at the red school house in Vienna that the Free Baptist Church was organized January 22, 1820 with 26 members. It was not until twenty years later in 1840, however, that the present church in the Vienna Village was built. Rev. Josiah Bradley who came from New Hampshire to Vienna in 1799 and his son Alvin furnished the land, The church was paid for by the sale of pews at the prices ranging from $12 to $40. Over the years the church has been kept in good repair and improvements made.